This eLearning course aims to provide an introduction to Learning Disabilities and aims to raise your awareness and develop your understanding.
The course begins with an introduction to the meaning of learning disabilities, the criteria used to diagnose a learning disability before considering how they may be caused. You will learn about the historical context of services for individuals with learning disabilities, including the legal and policy framework, and reflect on how services have changed. The course concludes with an exploration of the barriers to communication individuals may face to enable you to promote effective communication.
The learning outcomes for this course are:
- Know the meaning of the term learning disabilities
- Know the causes of learning disabilities
- Know how people with learning disabilities have been cared for in the past
- Know the legislative and policy framework for supporting individuals with learning disabilities
- Know how to overcome barriers those with learning disabilities face
- Know the barriers related to communication and how to overcome them.