This eLearning course aims to introduce you to the topic of equality, diversity and inclusion in health and social care.
The course starts by describing the terms equality, diversity, inclusion and discrimination and explains the links between them. It then goes on to outline models of discrimination and oppression and explains the effects of discrimination on the individual and the wider society.
In stage two, the learner is informed about the legislation and codes of practice related to equality, diversity and inclusion and also outlines the FREDA principles which link to both the Human Rights Act and the Care Quality Commission Fundamental Standards.
In stage three, the learner will explore various ways to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in their practice, including the use of words and terminology, role modelling and challenging discrimination in their role.
In addition, this course aims to enable you to apply your learning to the assessment criteria required to achieve
Unit SHC23, Introduction to equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings and Unit SHC33, Promote equality and inclusion in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
• Outline the terms Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
• Understand inclusive practice promotes equality and supports diversity
• Explain the potential effects of discrimination on the individual and their carers
• Identify relevant legislation and policy and understand how these apply to the health and social care worker – Equality Act and Human Rights Act (1998)
• Understand what is meant by direct and indirect discrimination; discrimination by association and perception; and harassment.
• Recall the FREDA principles (Fairness, Respect, Equality, Dignity & Autonomy)
• Know the importance of identifying an individual’s uniqueness
• Understand how diversity, equality and inclusion are addressed in social care and support
• Know how to challenge discrimination in a way that promotes change
• Know what to do if there are concerns about equality and diversity practices.