This eLearning course is designed to enable you to increase your understanding about Personal Care in health and social care.
The course begins by explaining the term ‘personal care’ and ensuring the learner has a good understanding of dignity, privacy and respect in relation to providing personal care. The course explains how to provide personal care in a safe and hygienic way, including hand washing, use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and disposal of waste.
The course goes on to outline in detail good practice in supporting an individual in various aspects of their personal care and hygiene, including washing, going to the toilet, dental care, shaving, nail care, dressing and grooming.
The learning outcomes for this course are:
- Explain what is meant by the term ‘personal care’
- Explain how an individual may feel when requiring personal care
- Identify the importance of finding out about an individual’s preferences for personal care tasks
- Describe ways to promote dignity and respect when providing personal care.
- Explain the importance of personal hygiene and a clean environment
- Wash your hands properly
- Identify the correct use of Personal Protective Equipment when providing personal care
- Explain the procedures for disposal of waste
- Identify good practice when supporting an individual with washing, going to the toilet, dental hygiene, shaving, nail care, grooming and dressing.