This eLearning course is designed to enable you to increase your awareness of the health condition, epilepsy.
The course begins by exploring the meaning of the term epilepsy, including defining the term, the prevalence rates and the causes of epilepsy.
The course then explains the different types of seizures an individual may experience, including generalised, simple and complex focal seizures, absences and tonic seizures, atonic and myoclonic seizures.
In Stage Three, you will learn how seizures can be triggered and the common risk factors associated with epilepsy.
In the final stage, the course describes the different treatment options for epilepsy. This includes medication and other treatment options, how to apply first aid for an individual experiencing an epileptic seizure, the role of other professionals and the importance of an epilepsy care or support plan.
At the end of this course you will be able to:-
- Define the meaning of epilepsy
- Outline the causes of epilepsy
- Recall treatment options for epilepsy
- Recall the different types of seizures
- Know common seizure triggers
- Identify risks associated with epilepsy
- Provide First Aid for an individual experiencing a seizure
- Understand what to consider when supporting an individual with epilepsy including liaison with other professionals and an epilepsy care plan