This eLearning course is designed to enable you to increase your awareness and understanding of the mental health disorder, depression.
The course begins explaining what we mean by the term 'depression' and explains how common the problem is. it then explains the symptoms of depression and describes the different types of depression an individual can be diagnosed with, including the severity and different 'specifiers' associated with the illness.
In stage three, the course outlines the different possible causes of depression and co-existing problems that individuals face. The final stage focuses on the treatment and support strategies for depression, including therapy treatment, medication and self help strategies to help individuals recover.
Finally, the course outlines the role of the support or care worker in helping support an individual suffering from depression.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define what is meant by the term ‘depression’
- Identify prevalence rates for depression
- Better understand what it means to experience depression
- Identify the different symptoms of depression
- Outline the different types of depression
- Explain what is meant by the terms ‘severity’ and ‘specifier’ in relation to diagnosing depression
- Outline the causes of depression
- Explain the Vulnerability-Stress Model
- Identify co-existing problems associated with depression
- Outline the NICE guidelines for treating depression
- Identify the role of lifestyle factors in treating depression
- Explain how CBT therapy works
- Outline the role of medication in treating depression
- Identify what you can do to help someone with depression